• Jackson JD 1998: Classical Electrodynamics. Wiley
• Feynman RP, Leighton RB and Sands M 2005: The Feynman Lectures on Physics, Vol 2.
An engaging and accessible intellectual history of the quantum theory can be found in
• Pais A 1991: Niels Bohr's Times. Oxford University Press
For a derivation of the Planck distribution, see Chapter 1 of
• Rybicki GB and Lightman AP 2004: /it Radiative Processes in Astrophysics. Wiley-VCH.
The reader seeking a comprehensive introduction to nonrelativistic quantum theory will find it in Volume 1 of
• Messiah A 1999: Quantum Mechanics. Dover In the Dover edition, this book is a bargain, and repays a lifetime of close study.
Was this article helpful?