Combination of treatments
Example of combination
Physical and biotechnological treatment
Chemical and biotechnological aerobic treatment
• Thermal pretreatment of waste can enhance the biodegradability of hazardous substance.
• Homogenization/suspension of solid wastes or nondissolved sludges in water will increase the surface of the waste particles and, as result of this, the rate of biodegradation will also be increased.
• Preliminary chemical oxidation of aromatic hydrocarbons by H2O2 or ozone will improve the biodegradability of these hazardous substances because of the cleavage of aromatic rings.
Biotechnological and chemical treatment
Physico-chemical and biotechnological treatment
• Reduction of Fe(III) from nondissolved iron hydroxides will produce dissolved Fe(II) ions, which can be used for the precipitation of organic acids or cyanides.
• Preliminary washing of wastes polluted by hydrophobic substances by water or solution of surfactants will remove these molecules from the waste; thus, the hydrophobic substances of suspension will be degraded faster than if attached to the particles of hazardous waste.
• Anaerobic treatment will perform anaerobic dechlorination of hazardous substances; it will enhance following aerobic treatment.
Was this article helpful?