Types of Remediation Technology

The U.S. EPA's MTBE remediation projects employed primarily air sparging, SVE, MPE, bioremediation, ISCO, and pump-and-treat to remediate MTBE and other oxygenates in groundwater and soil. Some sites also used phytoremediation, PRBs, or in situ thermal treatment. Table 24.3 summarizes the number of projects that used each of these technologies, as well as the scale (full-scale, pilot-scale, or bench-scale) and status (completed or ongoing) of the projects reviewed, and the number of projects for which performance and cost data were available. Among the six technologies, air sparging, SVE, bioremediation, and pump-and-treat were used more frequently to remediate groundwater and soil contaminated with MTBE and other oxygenates, and MPE, ISCO, phytoremediation, PRBs, and thermal treatment were used less frequently. Nearly 25% of the projects have been completed, with the remaining 75% ongoing. Eighty percent of the projects provided some type of performance data, and more than 30% provided cost data. Performance and cost data were provided most often for projects using air sparging, bioremediation, and pump-and-treat.

Was this article helpful?

0 0
DIY Battery Repair

DIY Battery Repair

You can now recondition your old batteries at home and bring them back to 100 percent of their working condition. This guide will enable you to revive All NiCd batteries regardless of brand and battery volt. It will give you the required information on how to re-energize and revive your NiCd batteries through the RVD process, charging method and charging guidelines.

Get My Free Ebook


Post a comment