1. Metropolitan Policy Program, Brookings Institution, and Greater New Orleans Community Data Center, "The New Orleans Index: Tracking Recovery of New Orleans and Metro Area," November 13, 2007 (www.gnocdc.org/KI/ KatrinaIndex.pdf).
2. Jim Letten, United States Attorney, Eastern District of Louisiana, statement at hearings before Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, June 20,2007.
3. H. G. Wells, Anticipations of the Reaction of Mechanical and Scientific Progress Upon Human Life and Thought (London: Chapman & Hall, 1902).
4. John Elfreth Watkins Jr., "What May Happen in the Next 100 Years," Ladies Home Journal, December 1900, as cited at www.paleofuture.com.
5. J. R. Minkel, "100 Year Forecast: New Climate Zones Humans Have Never Seen," Scientific American, March 26,2007.
6. Jerome C. Glenn and Theodore J. Gordon, 2007 State of the Future (Millennium Project, 2007; see www.millennium-project.org), p. 3.
7. Ray Kurzweil, The Singularity Is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology (New York: Penguin Books, 2005).
8. Please see chapter 3 of this volume for an explanation of the MOC.
9. Claude A. Piantadosi, The Biology of Human Survival: Life and Death in Extreme Environments (Oxford University Press, 2003), p. 75.
10. Ted Dagne, "Somalia: Current Conditions and Prospects for a Lasting Peace," Congressional Research Service Report for Congress, March 2007, p. 17.
11. UN Security Council, Report of the Secretary-General on the Situation in Somalia, Secretary General's Report S/2007/658 (New York: November 7,2007).
12. Dan Smith and Janani Vivekananda, A Climate of Conflict: The Links Between Climate Change, Peace, and War (London: International Alert, 2007).
13. German Advisory Council on Global Change, World in Transition: Climate Change as a Security Risk, "Summary for Policy-Makers" (Berlin: May 2007), p. 6 (www.wbgu.de/wbgu_jg2007_kurz_engl.html).
14. William R. Cline, Global Warming and Agriculture: Impact Estimates by Country (Washington: Center for Global Development and Peterson Institute for International Economics, July 2007).
15. Stephanie McCrummen, "A Wealth of Kindness among Somalia's Poorest," Washington Post, December 10,2007, p. A1.
Was this article helpful?