Transportation systems contribute to GHG emissions and are affected by the resultant climate changes. Research is needed to better understand the nature of these impacts as well as ways to reduce GHG emissions from the transportation sector. Some key research needs, which are explored in further detail in Chapter 13, include the following:
• Improve understanding of what controls the volume of transportation activity and what strategies might be available to reduce volume.
• Conduct research on the most promising strategies for promoting the use of less fuel-intensive modes of transportation.
• Continue efforts to improve transportation efficiency.
• Accelerate the development and deployment of alternative propulsion systems, fuels, and supporting infrastructure.
• Advance understanding of how climate change will impact transportation systems and develop approaches for adapting to these impacts.
Was this article helpful?