Successful energy and CO 2 reduction projects require a systematic approach. In this chapter we will give an overview over the procedure we recommend for energy saving and CO2 reduction projects. This procedure was developed and proven in many different projects. Some key aspects for a successful project execution are:
• Clear scope and well defined targets.
• Continuous collaboration between project team and the partners in the plants.
• Systematic, comprehensive and traceable methodology.
• Sustainable implementation of technical and cultural measures.
The systematic approach we choose for our projects follows the Six Sigma procedure (see  or ).
• Define the scope and the task.
• Measure the actual CO2 footprint and the specific energy consumption of the products as a baseline.
• Analyze the distribution and consumption of different energies (steam, electricity, cooling media, pressurized gases) in the plants.
2 Improve the situation by generating ideas for energy saving measures and implementation of the measures in the plants.
• Control the sustainable success of the project by technical measures (management system) and repeated checks in the following years.
In this chapter we will give an introduction to a systematic procedure of energy saving projects. The basis of this introduction is the high number of projects we executed in different branches, mainly in the chemical process industry (see  and others). The general procedure comprises the steps shown in Figure 4.1.
After analysis of energy consumption at the plant or site we generate ideas for energy savings in collaboration with our experts and the customer. These ideas will be evaluated in order to prioritize them. Afterwards the beneficial ideas will
Managing CO2 Emissions in the Chemical Industry. Edited by Leimkuhler © 2010 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim ISBN: 978-3-527-32659-4
Energy Efficiency Check
Was this article helpful?
Your Alternative Fuel Solution for Saving Money, Reducing Oil Dependency, and Helping the Planet. Ethanol is an alternative to gasoline. The use of ethanol has been demonstrated to reduce greenhouse emissions slightly as compared to gasoline. Through this ebook, you are going to learn what you will need to know why choosing an alternative fuel may benefit you and your future.