The following references offer some good general reading and design-specific information.
1. Cheremisinoff, P.N., Wastewater Treatment Pocket Handbook, Pudvan Publishing, Northbrook, IL, 1987.
2. Cheremisinoff, P.N., Pocket Handbook for Solid-Liquid Separations, Gulf Publishing Co., Houston, TX, 1984.
3. Noyes, R., Unit Operations in Environmental Engineering, Noyes Publishers, NJ, 1994.
4. Kirkpatrick, J., Mathematics for Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant Operators, Ann Arbor Science Pub., Ann Arbor, MI, 1976.
5. Wells, S. A. and Gordon, J. A. (1982) "Geometric Variations in Reservoir Water Quality," Water Resources Bulletin, Vol. 18, No. 4, 661-670
6. Adams, E. E. and Wells, S. A. (1984) "Field Measurements on Side Arms of Lake Anna, Virginia," Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 110, No. 6, 773-793
7. Adams, E. E„ Wells, S. A. and Ho, E. K. (1987) "Vertical Diffusion in a Stratified Cooling Lake," Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 113, No. 3, 293-307
8. Dick, R. I., Wells, S. A. and Bierck, B. R. (1988) "A Note on the Role of Capillary Forces in Compressible Cake Filtration," Fluid/Particle Separation Journal, Vol. 1, No. 1, 32-34
9. Bierck, B. R., Wells, S. A., and Dick, R. I. (1988) "Compressible Cake Filtration: Monitoring Cake Formations Using X-Rays from a Synchrotron Source," Water Pollution Control Federation Journal, Vol. 60, No. 5, 645-650
10. Wells, S. A. and Dick, R. I. (1989) "Mathematical Modeling of Compressible Cake Filtration," Proceedings ASCE National Environmental Engineering Conference, Austin, TX, 788-795
11. Wells, S. A. (1990) "Effect of Winter Heat Loss on Treatment Plant Efficiency," Research Journal of the Water Pollution Control Federation, Vol. 62, No. 1, 34-39
12. Wells, S. A. (1990) "Determination of Sludge Properties for Modeling Compressible Cake Filtration from Specific Resistance Tests," Proceedings A.S.C.E. National Environmental Engineering Conference, Washington, D.C., 125-131
13. Wells, S. A. (1991) "Two-Dimensional, Steady-State Modeling of Cake Filtration in a Laterally Unconfined Domain," Fluid/Particle Separation Journal, Vol. 4, No. 2, June, 107-116
14. Wells, S. A. and Plaskett, J. H. (1992) "Modeling Compressible Cake Filtration with Uncertainty," in Advances in Filtration and Separation Technology : Separation Problems and the Environment, Volume 5, ed. by B. Scheiner, American Filtration Society, pp. 351-354
15. Wells, S. A. and Dick, R. I. (1992) "Synchrotron Radiation Measurements of Degree of Saturation in Porous Matrix," A.S.C.E., Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 118, No. 8, 1738-1744
16. Wells, S. A. and Dick, R. I. (1993) "Permeability, Solid and Liquid Velocity, and Effective Stress Variations in Compressible Cake Filtration," Proceedings, American Filtration Society Conference on System Approach to Separation and Filtration Process Equipment, Chicago, Illinois, May 3-6, pp. 9-12
17. Karl, J. and Wells, S. A. (1995) "Modeling of Gravity Sedimentation in One Dimension," in Advances in Filtration and Separation, Vol. 9, ed. by K. Choi, American Filtration and Separations Society, pp. 400-410
18. Berger, C. and Wells, S. A. (1995) "Effects of Management Strategies to Improve Water Quality in the Tualatin River, Oregon," in Water Resources Engineering, Vol. 2, ed. by W, Espey Jr. and P. Combs, ASCE, 1360-1364
19. A.Rushton, A.S. Ward and R.G. Holdich, Solid-Liquid Filtration and Separation Technology, 1996, VCH, Weinheim, Germany
20. R.G. Holdich, 1990, Rotary Vacuum Filter Scale-up Calculations - and the use of Computer Spreadsheets, Filtration and Separation, 27, pp 435-439
21. R.G. Holdich, 1994, Simulation of Compressible Cake Filtration, Filtration and Separation, 31, pp 825-829
22. R.G. Holdich and G. Butt, 1997, Separation Science and Technology, 32, pp 2129-2151
The following are Web sites to visit for additional information and calculation methods
23. Cake Filtration Equipment for Biotechnology. There are three general categories of filters used ... http://members.aol.com/jmk7/feb97.htm
24. Kongressprogramm - FILTECH EUROPA 2001... TUESDAY - 16.10.2001. 9.00 - 10.15, Plenary Session. ... TUESDAY - 16.10.2001. 9.00-10.15, Plenary Session. 10.45-12.00, L 1, Cake Filtration I, Chair: E. Vorobiev, F. ... http://www.filtecheuropa.com/programme_full_e.htm
25. Scott Wells ... processes. Research includes modeling the dynamics of cake filtration and the dynamics of liquid/particle flow in water and wastewater clarifiers. Specific ... http://www.ce.pdx.edu/faculty/wells.htm[MoreResults From: www.ce.pdx.edu]
26. http://188.8.131.52/weblm/pdii-lipi/milnel/maj4.htm... Incompressive cake filtration: Mechanism, parameters, and modeling / F Civan Page: 2379-2387 Abstract : Improved models developed verify interpretation and ... http://184.108.40.206/weblm/pdii-lipi/milnel/maj4.htm [More Results From: 220.127.116.11]
27. Filtration ... Section, Title. 1. Terminology. 2. Filtration Models.2.1. Cake Filtration: Calculation of the Pressure Drop. ... http://www.wiley-vch.de/contents/ullmann/ull_10295.html [More Results From: www.wiley-vch.de]
28. Filtration and Separation ... RVF.zip (8k): to investigate operating conditions on rotary vacuum filter throughput, assuming incompressible cake filtration; see reference 1 and 2. ... http://www-staff.lboro.ac.uk/~cgrgh/page2.htm [More Results From: www-staff.lboro.ac.uk]
29. Filtration Behaviors of Rod-shaped Bacterial Broths in Unsteady
membrane surface. The permeation flux followed the cake filtration law at the initial stage of the crossflow filtration of the broths of A subtilis and E. coli ...http://www.scej.org/ronbun/JCEJe/e29p0973.html [More Results From: www.scej.org]
30. Ruech, Wolfgang: An experimental and theoretical study of ... An experimental and theoretical study of compressible cake filtration. Verfasser: Ruech ... http://www.tugraz.at/forschung/diplomarbeiten/1996/17-37.html [More Results From: www.tugraz.at]
31. Filtration Basic ... separation layer. The longer the filtration takes, the higher the separation effect, since after the initial phase the actual cake filtration will start. The ... http://www.filterpressen.de/html_e/filtration/basic.htm [More Results From: www.filterpressen.de]
32. Staff profile page - the Engineering Faculty at Loughborough ... Broad Interests and Expertise. Compressible cake filtration Selection, scale-up and process simulation of solid/liquid separation equipment Washing and .. .http: //www. lboro. ac. uk/departments/eng/research/staff/html/tarleton .html [More Results From: www.lboro.ac.uk]
33. Filtration and Separation ... in terms of filtrate volume with time as well as dry cake yield with filtration time. Both are outputted in tabular form suitable for importing into a ... http://www.filtration-and-separation.com/ [More Results From: www.filtration-and-separation.com]
34. Preprint 2000-041 ... which together with initial and boundary conditions determines a dynamic cake filtration
36. DJ Mullan - Extended Abstract ... Internal Cylindrical Compressible Cake Filtration Model. To date no one has developed a model which ... http://www.und.ac.za/und/prg/posters/daveabs.html [More Results From:
37. CHE 440: Filtration Experiment... find the parameters (discussed below) that govern constant pressure drop cake filtration for the filtration equipment in the Unit Operations laboratory. These ... http://chemeng.uah.edu/courses/che440sp97/filter.html [More Results From:
38. AFS: Table of Contents Vol. 12 ... On Parameters Affecting Flow Behavior During Compressible Cake Filtration in the Centrifugal Field. ... http://www. afssociety.org/publications/Contents/vol 12.shtml [More Results
39. Diesel Trap Concepts [subscriber access] ... in the surface-type filters. That layer is commonly referred to as "filtration cake" and the process is called "cake filtration", http:// www.dieselnet.com/tech/dpf_concept.html.
40. Mining Technology - Outokumpu Technology GmbH - Filtration plates with rubber membranes • Endless filter belt • Residue-free cake discharge • Filtration capacity compares more than favourably with other systems on ... http://www.mining-technology.com/contractors/filtering/outo/ [More Results
Was this article helpful?