1. What are the water treatment technologies available to us and can you rank them in accordance with the likely cost of treatment (from highest to lowest)? Hint, take into consideration the use of energy.
2. Of the water treatment technologies discussed in this chapter, which ones could be applied economically to small scale applications like home use?
3. What treatment technologies would be best in destroying E. coli?
4. Define the terms MCLG and TT.
5. Explain the process by which EPA established drinking water quality discharge standards.
6. List the categories of pollutants that the NPDW Regulations address.
7. Pick any three chemicals that you are aware are covered by the NPDW Regulations and discuss the potential health effects that could occur from ingesting water contaminated by them.
8. What are the two most important provisions of the Clean Water Act?
9. Briefly explain how a sand filter operates.
10. Develop a simplified diagram that explains the various pathways by which water can become contaminated.
11. What water quality characteristic would reduce the efficiency of UV in destroying pathogens contained in water?
12. List the BATs for treating inorganic matter in water.
13. List the BATs for treating organic matter in water.
14. Explain what BPTs and BATs are. What are the differences between these two terms?
15. Explain the terms coagulation and flocculation. How do you envision these operations are practiced?
16. What are coliforms and how are they introduced inot water supplies?
17. Make a list of heavy metals that can contaminate water sources? What are some of the health effects associated with ingesting water contaminated by heavy metals?
18. Briefly explain what nanofiltration is.
19. What is Reverse Osmosis and the general principle of operation?
20. What is the role of NSDW Regulations? Are these enforceable?
21. What reasons would a water treatment operation employ microfilters?
22. Briefly explain the principle of adsorbtion and how it is used in water treatment.
23. What parameters impact on the effectiveness of chlorine as a water disinfectant?
24. List several alternative chemicals that compete with chlorine as a disinfectant.
25. Can ozone be used as the only means of water disinfection in a treatment facility? If not, why not, and what other technologies do you think would work in combination with ozone treatment?
26. What is photoreactivation?
27. List the various types of plant forms that can enter into and contaminate drinking water.
28. Make a list of the animal forma that we are most concerned with in contaminating drinking water sources.
29. What makes a water palatable?
30. List several water quality parameters that are important to track and control.
31. Develop a list of the chemicals that are part of the wastewater streams in the plant that you are employed at. Establish whether or not the operation is in compliance with discharge standards, and whether all permits to discharge are current.
Was this article helpful?