1. Go to the Web and develop a list of suppliers along with unit costs for some of the various types of flocculants described in this chapter. Also obtain the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) for these chemicals. Once you have collected the information, develop a relative ranking of unit cost and health risk associated with each. For question 2 you will need information of recommended doses.
2. For a 50,000 GPD filtration operation with an average loading 50 mg/L TSS (Total Suspended Solids) determine the optimum flocculant to use in order to achieve at least an 85 % reduction in solids. Assume that a rotary drum filter unit is used.
3. For each of the chemicals selected in question 1, calculate the recommended dosage (As Lbs/gal. solution) for 25,000 gpd of waster treatment.
4. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of polyelectrolytes over other convention flocculants.
5. Develop a list of the issues and parameters to examine when making a selection of the proper filter aid.
6. What characteristics should the optimum filter aid possess?
7. What are the reasons for applying a precoat to a filter? List several common materials used as precoat filter aids.
8. List and describe the types of dry chemical feeders that are in common use. Go to the Web and develop a list of major vendors for these equipment.
Was this article helpful?