tte common features of Agrometeorological products include general descriptions of Agrometeorological characteristics of specific regions in terms of agricultural production and resource management. Depending on the requirements and priorities of end-users, the description details or expertise levels of the contents vary to a great extent. In general, due to the shortage of expertise as well as the limited space of bulletins, they contain insufficient levels of quantity or quality of information.
Despite these limitations, the essential components for a successful product can be identified as follows:
• End-Users: Farmers, Associations, Extensions, Researchers, Policy-makers, General public.
• Contents: Types: General, Advisory, Warning, Recommendation, Suggestion Weather/Climate/Forecast/Prognosis/Diagnosis information
Extremes, Special Weather Phenomena, Energy Balance (Flux) (Flood, Drought, Frost, Heat wave, Fire, Landslide, Cold injury, etc.) Crop, Fruit, Grass, Forest, Animal Husbandry, Fishery (Growth, Development, Yield, Population, Reproduction, etc.) Disease, Insect, Pest, Weeds Farm Management
(Cropping, Irrigation, Sowing, Harvesting, Post-Harvest, Spraying) Resource Management (Water, Air, Soil, Biome, Infrastructure)
• Data: Form: Digital / Document based : Bulletin, Brochure, Letter, Note, Leaflet
Format: Text, Numeric, Table, Chart, Figure, Image, Map, etc.
• Communication: Sharing, Dissemination, Feed-back
Phone/Mobile, Fax, TV, Radio, PC-Network, Internet, Dedicated line, SMS, etc.
• Providers/Developers/Producers/Authors/Publishers/Editors Meteorologists, Agronomists, Entomologists, Ecologists, Agrometeorologists, Soil scientists, Virologists, Epidemiologists, etc.
• Raw Materials: Meteorological, Agronomical data, non-Agricultural data Observed, Processed, Derived, Estimated (inter-/extra-polated)
NWP Model Outputs, Agricultural Model Outputs Domestic or Foreign Origin
• Tools: Statistical packages, Graphic tools, GIS, Simulation models,
• Institutions concerned
Meteorological, Agricultural, Hydrological, Others
Research Institute, Extension Office, University, Private Sector, Cooperation Local, Central(Federal), Regional, Global Organizations
Was this article helpful?