Crop producers in Mississippi consider the multi-risk environment in their crop production as special challenges, ttey pay close attention to management strategies, whether what they manage are whole farms or otherwise, tte following are tested techniques from which producers can choose from to sustain farm operations for whole farm management:
• Consider new crops and crop combinations,
• Diversify, match crops to soil capability and productivity, planting fields with low yield histories to alternative crops.
• Select proven varieties,
• Incorporate crop rotation and use herbicides that do not injure future crops in a rotation system,
• Carefully calibrate planting equipment to deliver a desired number of seeds at the optimum planting depth for a given crop,
• Carefully plan plant spacing as it directly affects the crop's ability to use light, water and fertilizer and ultimately affects crop yield, and
• Scout fields regularly throughout the growing season.
Was this article helpful?