1. Mae T, Makino A, Ohira K. The remob-ilization of nitrogen related to leaf growth and senescence in rice plants (Oryza sativa L.). Plant Cell Physiol 1981; 22:1067-1074.
2. Makino A, Mae T, Ohira K. Photosynthesis and ribulose 1,5-bisphosphate carboxy-lase in rice leaves. Changes in photosynthesis and enzymes involved in carbon assimilation from leaf development through senescence. Plant Physiol 1983; 73:1002-1007.
3. Mae T, Kamei C, Funaki K et al. Degradation of ribulose 1,5-bisphosphate carb-oxylase in the lysates of the chloroplasts isolated mechanically from wheat (Triti-cum aestivum L.) leaves. Plant Cell Physiol 1989; 30:193-200.
4. Ishida H, Shimizu S, Makino A et al. Light-dependent fragmentation of the large subunit of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase in chloroplasts isolated from wheat leaves. Planta 1998; 204:305-309.
5. Sechley KA, Yamaya T, Oaks A. Compart-mentation of nitrogen assimilation in higher plants. Int Rev Cytol 1992; 134:85-163.
6. Lea PJ, Robinson SA, Stewart GR The en-zymology and metabolism of gluta- mine, glutamate and asparagine. In Miflin BJ, Lea PJ, eds. The Biochemistry of Plants, Vol 16. Intermediary nitrogen metabolism. San Diego: Academic Press, 1990:121-157.
7. Hayashi H, Chino M. Chemical composition of phloem sap from the upper most internode of the rice plant. Plant Cell Physiol 1990; 31:247-251.
8. Wallsgrove RM, Turner JC, Hall NP et al. Barley mutants lacking chloroplast glutamine synthetase. Biochemical and genetic analysis. Plant Physiol 1987; 70:827-832.
9. Kendall AC, Wallsgrove RM, Hall NP et al. Carbon and nitrogen metabolism in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) mutants lacking ferredoxin-dependent glutamate synthase. Planta 1986; 168:316-323.
10. Somerville CR, Ogren WL. Inhibition of photosynthesis in Arabidopsis mutants lacking in leaf glutamate synthase activity. Nature 1980; 286:257-259.
11. Kamachi K, Yamaya T, Hayakawa T et al. Vascular bundle-specific localization of cytosolic glutamine synthetase in rice leaves. Plant Physiol 1992; 99:1481-1486.
12. Kamachi K, Yamaya T, Mae T et al. A role for glutamine synthetase in the remobilization of leaf nitrogen during natural senescence in rice leaves. Plant Physiol 1991; 96:411-417.
13. Sakurai N, Hayakawa T, Nakamura T et al. Changes in the cellular localization of cytosolic glutamine synthetase protein in vascular bundles of rice leaves at various stages of development. Planta 1996; 200:306-311.
14. Yamaya T, Hayakawa T, Tanasawa K et al. Tissue distribution of glutamate syn-thase and glutamine synthetase in rice leaves. Occurrence of NADH-dependent glutamate synthase protein and activity in the unexpanded non-green leaf blades. Plant Physiol 1992; 100:1427-1432.
15. Carvalho H, Pereira S, Sunkel C et al. Detection of a cytosolic glutamine syn-thetase in leaves of Nicotiana tabacum L. by immunocytochemical methods. Plant Physiol 1992; 100:1591-1594.
16. Pereira S, Cavalho H, Sunkel C et al. Immunocytolocalization of glutamine syn-thetase in mesophyll and phloem of leaves of Solanum tuberosum L. Protoplasma 1992; 167:66-73.
17. Chonan N, Kaneko M, Kawahara H et al. Ultrastructure of the large vascular bundles in the leaves of rice plants. Jpn J Crop Sci 1981; 50:323-331.
18. Van Bel AJE. Strategies of phloem loading. Annu Rev Plant Physiol Mol Biol 1993; 44:253-281.
19. Hayakawa T, Yamaya T, Kamachi K et al. Purification, characterization, and immunological properties of NADH-dependent glutamate synthase from rice cell cultures. Plant Physiol 1992; 98:1317-1322.
20. Anderson MP, Vance CP, Heichel GH et al. Purification and characterization of NADH-glutamate synthase from alfalfa root nodules. Plant Physiol 1989; 90:351-358.
21. Hayakawa T, Yamaya T, Mae T et al. Changes in the content of two glutamate synthase proteins in spikelets of rice (Oryza sativa) plants during ripening. Plant Physiol 1993; 101:1257-1262.
22. Hayakawa T, Nakamura T, Hattori F et al. Cellular localization of NADH-dependent glutamate-synthase protein in vascular bundles of unexpanded leaf blades and young grains of rice plants. Planta 1994; 193:455-460.
23. Goto S, Akagawa T, Kojima S et al. Organization and structure of NADH-depen-dent glutamate synthase gene from rice plants. Biochim Biophys Acta 1998; 1387:298-308.
24. Goto S, Ishii Y, Hayakawa T et al. Agro-bacterium-mediated transformation of Sasanishiki, a leading cultivar of rice (Oryza sativa L.) in northern Japan. In: Ando T et al., eds. Plant Nutrition for Sustainable Food Production and Environment, Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997:839-840.
25. Yamaya T, Tanno H, Hirose N et al. A supply of nitrogen causes increase in the level of NADH-dependent glutamate synthase protein and in the activity of the enzyme in roots of rice seedlings. Plant Cell Physiol 1995; 36:1197-1204.
26. Hirose N, Hayakawa T, Yamaya T. Induc-ible accumulation of mRNA for NADH-dependent glutamate synthase in rice roots in response to ammonium ions. Plant Cell Physiol 1997; 38:1295-1297.
27. Ishiyama K, Hayakawa T, Yamaya T. Expression of NADH-dependent glutamate synthase protein in the epidermis and exodermis of rice roots in response to the supply of ammonium ions. Planta 1998; 204:288-294.
28. Morita S, Lux A, Ebstone DE et al. Re-examination of rice seminal root ontogeny using fluorescence microscopy. Jpn J Crop Sci 1996; 65:37-38.
29. Hayakawa T, Hopkins L, Peat LJ et al. Quantitative intercellular localization of NADH-dependent glutamate synthase protein in different types of root cells in rice plants. Plant Physiol 1999; 119:409416.
30. Vance CP, Miller SS, Gregerson RG et al. Alfalfa NADH-dependent glutamate synthase: Structure of the gene and importance in symbiotic N2 fixation. Plant J 1995; 8:345-358.
31. Yamaya T, Obara M, Hayakawa T et al. Comparison of contents for cytosolic-glutammine synthetase and NADH-dependent glutamate synthase proteins in leaves of japonica, indica, and javanica rice plants. Soil Sci Plant Nutr 1997; 43:1107-1112.
Was this article helpful?