The features of aerobically grown microbial granules, which are used in wastewater treatment, are as follows:
1. Spherical or ellipsoidal shape; sometimes they can be elongated so that they are rod-like;
3. Filamentous, smooth, or skin-like surface, which is dominantly hydrophobic or hydrophilic;
4. Gel-like interior (matrix); sometimes it contains black matter or gas vesicule in central part of big dense granule;
5. Layers and microaggregates of specific microorganisms;
6. Channels and pores;
7. Inclusions of particulates.
Was this article helpful?